The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:December 18, 2018, 01:52:20 PM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  DC Projects
| |-+  World Community Grid
| | |-+  Does running BOINC version of WCG agent give more points on the same rig?
Pages: 1 2 [All]
Topic: Does running BOINC version of WCG agent give more points on the same rig? (Read 6636 times) Print
comp_interrlz

Position: DC Zoner

Does running BOINC version of WCG agent give more points on the same rig?

one word answers accepted
IP: [ Logged ]
TLD

Group: Global Moderator

Yes it seems to, may be project specific though. Human Proteome and [email protected] gives more points with BOINC
Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 02:08:21 PM by TLD
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander
Position: Just Plain Smappy

Tho' the grid verion may suit your antique as it certainly keeps mine from burning any more hard drives accessing virtual memory Doh
-------------------------------
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

There is a setting on your profile page that limits hard drive activity.  Bigger settings reduce the save frequency.

It also helps to check the system requirements for whatever specific projects you want to run.  The HDC project had some pretty savage memory needs and was more likely to overflow into your swap file because of it.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
comp_interrlz

cheers dark for the info, HDD access seems to be okay at the moment, only popping up every so often and fortunately the rigs its on at the moment seem to be all stable in the HDD area

thanks to TLD also, someone told me about it a good few months back and just wanted to reconfirm it for current projects

sticking with BOINC

Thumbs Up
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

I have one machine running the old client for two reasons; 1 - Muscular Dystrophy work (now finished) and 2- for some reason BOINC just won't install on it.  It keeps coming up with some bizarre error every time I try, even when the same install file works fine on another machine.  Whatever, it crunches ok.

The MD work was suposed to migrate to the BOINC client as well once they start Phase 2,IF I remember correctly.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
comp_interrlz

having said my previous about sticking with BOINC - it seems to have only credited me an hour of time for the wrok unit i just did that took well in excess of 2 hours, so i think i'm switching to the UD agent that i know best Smiley
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

You've run into the quorum and validation thing.  You don't always get what you claim.  Sometimes less, sometimes more.  It depends on what everyone else claimed.  There's a page explaining the whole credit thing here

comp_interrlz

cheers, didn't realise i'd be put up against others to decide what i got

i'm guessing the better your system is in the rank for the result the more positive you shoudl get, as if the average takes 3 hours to complete and you only take 2 you'll be in line for more points than your really entitled to?

fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Thinking Cold be....  But I wouldn't call it getting more points than you are entitled to cause It's the same for everyone running Boinc.

If we think of it as getting more than entitled to, then my old notebook is cheating.  Cause with the exception of the HPF jobs, it's always receiving more points than it claims.  lol

Either way I look at it, I still seem to get more points and complete more jobs in a given time running Boinc vs the UD client .  Grin Cool
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Ultimately it's results that provide the information and possible treatments that we're after, not points.  If BOINC gets through more results on given hardware than UD then that's my choice.  My team bases it's internal rankings entirely on results returned, not points.

comp_interrlz

ahhh, that raises a very interesting point, does BOINC crunch at a greater speed or greater efficiency, generally speaking?  Thinking

i realised i sounded quiet "points are everything in this game" when i read it back  Embarrassed

PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM

*squeek*

not sure that one can say results are everything either, though.....unless things have changed, if i recall correctly, wcg can control how large/small the units are, so 1 long unit could be the equivalent of 100 small units....and with that in mind, i don't think it would be easy to determine which one is more efficient, as it could just be that they cut the work units up differently for the different clients....
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Ultimately it's results that provide the information and possible treatments that we're after, not points.  If BOINC gets through more results on given hardware than UD then that's my choice.  My team bases it's internal rankings entirely on results returned, not points.

Thinking The term "in Denial" comes to mind here my fellow stats junkie...  rofl

Nah Comp.. You just sounded curious as to how it was working.  Points / # jobs completed make it a bit more interesting is all.. Hoghappy
TLD

not sure that one can say results are everything either, though.....unless things have changed, if i recall correctly, wcg can control how large/small the units are, so 1 long unit could be the equivalent of 100 small units....and with that in mind, i don't think it would be easy to determine which one is more efficient, as it could just be that they cut the work units up differently for the different clients....

I would think that this is one of the main reasons for points, longer WUs always get more points then shorter ones.
these projects want CPU time even with the fastest machines if you only run the project a couple hours a day or at a reduced CPU percentage you will only get the points awarded for that WU then a slower machine running the same WU 24/7 may complete the WU before the faster machine (running at reduced levels) will get the same points for the WU.

Points also take advantage of the natural competitive nature of humans to help further the projects.

Comp keep in mind that the UD WCG agent is set to run the CPU at 60%, there is a way to raise this but as i don't use the UD agent i'm unfamiliar with the method..
comp_interrlz

UD WCG agent is set to run the CPU at 60%, there is a way to raise this but as i don't use the UD agent i'm unfamiliar with the method..

yes, found this out when i checked that the UD agent still didn't enjoy hyper-threading, there's a program called WCGridMaxCPU something or other that can be used, i changed it up to 100% and let it go, worked well from there
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Thinking The term "in Denial" comes to mind here my fellow stats junkie...  rofl

I'm not a junkie, I'm a dealer.  Tongue

fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Doh My Bad...   Hoghappy
Adywebb

DC Prostitute
Position: Board Regular

Where am I ???

At this time points are a far fairer way of determining rankings rather than results, as if you chose to crunch the smaller genome units you will crunch around 4 times as many over a given time than someone who crunches the larger Aids units for example, so those crunching Aids are in effect penalised heavily - the reality is if you have rankings then there is no really totally fair method.

Maybe using Total Runtime would be fairer, I don't know  Huh?
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Total run time could be leveraged by running cheap, slow machines that barely qualify for any biven project.  I've got two retired machines that could be put back in service if that's all that matter.  Most of the team run all the projects, so our allocation of units is random.  Either way, when I tabulate the stats I track both results and points just in case anybody cares strongly one way or the other, but we rank on results.  Just running the little units is frowned on, but we don't make a big deal about it either.  After all, the stats are just fluff, really.  It's the work that matters.

Adywebb

DC Prostitute
Position: Board Regular

Where am I ???

Yep, stats are just the fluff that keeps things interesting really - the reason why I mentioned it is I noticed someone at PCR who obviously sticks to little units and does 4 times as many as me, but gets 1/3rd of the points I do.
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

I've got the oposite goin on.  switched one of the Tigers over to just run the genome stuff.  Buttload of jobs completed average ppd still the same.
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

A discrepancy in points like that can be a good indication that someone is playing stupid games trying to look good.  Not that I know of anyone else who's done that at all.
There's one guy on our team that's getting the opposite.  Huge points but lower results.  I think he has the FAAH units as a priority, or HPF or something.  If someone has whatever work as a personal priority, hey whatever.  That's fine.  If it's just to tweak the numbers to look good in the stats, that's lame.

fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Yea, I've seen that...  WoW!  Shocked  Prob just doing the work of choice...  Cool
john galbraith

Lots of reasons to run various projects.  I run FAAH only because the downloads are very dialup friendly.
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

and that's a pretty fair reason.  Other's ran only cancer because that's all they were interested in, some FAAH, some HDMD.  That's fair enough too.

pwrguru

I WORK TO BREAK THIS FORUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A discrepancy in points like that can be a good indication that someone is playing stupid games trying to look good.  Not that I know of anyone else who's done that at all.
There's one guy on our team that's getting the opposite.  Huge points but lower results.  I think he has the FAAH units as a priority, or HPF or something.  If someone has whatever work as a personal priority, hey whatever.  That's fine.  If it's just to tweak the numbers to look good in the stats, that's lame.
I just let them run these days all by themselves........... rofl  rofl
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

My project vs daily points average has ended.....
Running Just Genome stuff I still got the average 10-13k ppd I get when running all WCG projects...
Just a buttload more completed jobs... Well profiles set back to run whatever they send.
pwrguru

I WORK TO BREAK THIS FORUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to crank back up the farm to go camping.............
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: 1 2 [All]
« previous next »
Jump to: