The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:June 17, 2018, 08:47:57 PM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  DC Projects
| |-+  World Community Grid
| | |-+  New project - Nutritious rice for the world
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Topic: New project - Nutritious rice for the world (Read 19911 times) Print
PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM
Position: DC Zoner

*squeek*

growing up with rice at most every meal (even breakfast), in a family that bought 50lb bags at a time...i'd say those that have rice as a staple tend to stay to their preferred blend.  twice while living on my own i've tried different blends, i was surprised the difference it makes, and not a good one when you're used to something. lol  i'll pay extra for my milagrosa/jasmine. Tongue
-------------------------------
IP: [ Logged ]
Adywebb

DC Prostitute
Position: Board Regular

Where am I ???

IMO any thing that homogenizes the plant genome is bad. you develop the super corn or rice it only takes one disease that effects that strain  to cause starvation like we have never seen before. look at the Irish potato famine caused by a blite that affected A particular strain of potato..
Cross-breeding has been practiced since the year dot with all forms of plants, animals, crops and livestock to produce new and better breeds and strains - I don't think this is going to be any different.
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander
Position: Just Plain Smappy

My mother LOATHED rice, so I periodically indulge with great pleasure. Problem is, my hips were bred to spread nicely on potatoes, so they expand FAR too readily on rice Doh
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

So a big bowl of rice and there's something to hold on to.  Thumbs Up

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

Trust me, you aren't going to fall off any time soon Roll Eyes
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

You want to get into the basmati rice.  Low GI (lowest of the white rices anyway) for long lasting energy when you need it.  Wink

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
Stephenish

Windmills tilted, cheap!

Honi soit qui mal y pense

You want to get into the basmati rice.  Low GI (lowest of the white rices anyway) for long lasting energy when you need it.  Wink
Get the Texmati, we grow it in Texas.
I can think that than which a greater cannot be thought. Now, if that than which a greater cannot be thought existed only in the intellect, it would not be that than which a greater cannot be thought, since it can be thought to exist in reality which is greater. It follows, then, that that than which a greater cannot be thought exists in reality.
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Never seen it here.  Pretty much all the basmati I see is from India.

Stephenish

Windmills tilted, cheap!

May not be for export, then. Huh?
I can think that than which a greater cannot be thought. Now, if that than which a greater cannot be thought existed only in the intellect, it would not be that than which a greater cannot be thought, since it can be thought to exist in reality which is greater. It follows, then, that that than which a greater cannot be thought exists in reality.
Adywebb

DC Prostitute
Position: Board Regular

Where am I ???

No Texmex here either - like DA we just seem to have Basmati.

<Ady wanders off visualising GP spreading her hips>
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

Need to reboot those thoughts, Ady. Working on shrinking 'em. Another pound off per the scales at the gym Hamtaro
john galbraith

Don't shrink 'em too much, GP.  Hourglass figures are considered more attractive than thermometers. Tongue

I've always been a Minute Rice person.  Don't know what strain that is. lol
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

in pinky's world, minute rice, uncle ben's, etc does not qualify as real rice. No Evil  rofl
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Group: Global Moderator

Don't they make min-rice outta soybeans?

Rice shaped Tofu...     Bluegh.  Tongue
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
Stephenish

Windmills tilted, cheap!

long-grain, i think
john galbraith

in pinky's world, minute rice, uncle ben's, etc does not qualify as real rice. No Evil  rofl

Ya gotta admit though, it is easier and quicker to cook.

I've tried a few of the flavored rice side dishes that have regular (non-minute) rice in 'em.  They take at least 20 minutes to cook, you've got to stir them constantly and they still leave the pan a mess, needing dynamite to clean it up.  Got 4 of these boxes left in the pantry.  Think I'll save them for a special occasion, like famine. Roll Eyes
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

easier?  i keep the rice part simple....white rice in a rice cooker, add water, push button, sit and wait.  don't get any easier then that. rofl  leave the rest of the meal for the added flavoring... Tongue
john galbraith

Plain rice is kinda blah.  Only time I make it that way is to put chow mein on it.
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

Don't shrink 'em too much, GP.  Hourglass figures are considered more attractive than thermometers. Tongue

Trust me, I could be starving to death and still have broad hips. Pelvic bones are the proud offspring of generations of sturdy breeders. Granny turned out 16 on Mom's side. It's the jiggly, wobbly, flabby bits sans muscle I'm tightening up.

I fake it with converted rice as minute has no flavor whatsoever. I cheat and mix half chicken broth with half water for flavor.
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Group: Global Moderator

Thinking

Not hips......     Twisted Handles..  Twisted  No Evil
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
Stephenish

Windmills tilted, cheap!

easier?  i keep the rice part simple....white rice in a rice cooker, add water, push button, sit and wait.  don't get any easier then that. rofl  leave the rest of the meal for the added flavoring... Tongue
Yah, rice cooker makes it easy. But for higher fiber, get the brown rice cooker. Got mine at Fry's, made by Tiger. Zojirushi makes good rice cookers, also.

JC to John: If you've never tried jasmine rice or basmati rice you should taste them at least once, before you declare plain rice to be blah.
Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 02:08:46 PM by Stephenish
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

brown rice cooker?

tiger is a given when you go through as much rice as my family does... lol  other brands just don't hold up as long.
Stephenish

Windmills tilted, cheap!

brown rice cooker?

tiger is a given when you go through as much rice as my family does... lol  other brands just don't hold up as long.

yah, costs a bit more than a regular rice cooker, but well worth it.
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

you mean their newer digital ones that got the option to cook brown rice?  got mom one of those for christmas, and found she prefers the older tigers with one option..."cook". rofl
Stephenish

Windmills tilted, cheap!

digital too complex for the old girl?
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
« previous next »
Jump to: