The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:December 13, 2018, 01:44:20 PM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  The Lounge
| |-+  Sharing and Caring: The Human Element
| | |-+  Oz is on fire!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Topic: Oz is on fire! (Read 15239 times) Print
gordoma

Group: Global Moderator
Position: Board Regular

Calling them "firebugs" doesn't help... sounds cutesy, like some sort of flippin' Disney character.

Either that or just weld his cell door shut.

You can't do that... how will those who have lost friends, relatives, homes and livelihoods get access with their baseball bats? That would be a deterrant! Or perhaps they should do unto him as he did to others? Burning at the stake was very popular over here a few centuries ago - maybe it's time for a comeback?
-------------------------------
Matt

IP: [ Logged ]
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Position: Just Plain Smappy

Baseball bat would be too quick Gordo..

Public stoning to death would be more appropriate.
Then burn what's left.
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

I'm willing to donate my fire ant mounds. All of them Fire
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
gordoma

Position: Board Regular

Baseball bat would be too quick Gordo..

And also a betrayal of my heritage... I did of course mean a cricket bat.

Anyway, who said anything about hitting vital body parts - you start at the extremities and work your way in... Dang - have I been watching too many gangster films?
Matt

pwrguru

I WORK TO BREAK THIS FORUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The planet will get tired of us messing things up and clean itself before too much longer..

Global warming = rise in sea levels= desalination=stopped currents=ice age= lottsa dead people, then polar shift will off the rest of 'em.
Desalination will make England frozen most of the year...........The parts that aren't under water............ Doh
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Reminds me of that movie Split Second starring Rutger Houer (sp?).  Early nineties sf/horror set in a London where most of the underground had flooded due to rising water levels.

A lot, is not most, arsonists want glory.  They thrive on the publicity that their fires get.  That's why I'd lock the fekker in solitary and weld the door shut.  Leave them with nothing but four grey walls ie no media, no glory, nobody knowing or caring who they are or what they did.
Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:12:46 PM by Dark Angel

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
pwrguru

That is how most of them get caught..... They like to watch the fires they set.............
Orakk

<!--fffff!!!-->
Position: Settling Nicely

Pray you never do get them.

Australia is a combustible country.  Many of our native plants actually REQUIRE fire for them to breed and the animals typically aren't affected (burrow underground, move fast or live high enough to survive the grass fires) but the "normal" fires are, or used to be, low level scrub fires that stayed at ground level.  They weren't super hot and didn't travel very fast.  These firestorms are new.  The land is drier than ever before, the winds are worse and we're getting more extremely hot days than in the past.  The combination ... well you can see the results.

Added to that, some of these fire areas haven't practiced contolled burns in 25 years so that bush was very thick.
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Added to that, some of these fire areas haven't practiced contolled burns in 25 years so that bush was very thick.

That's true, thanks to some rabid and very vocal greenies.  I'm all for treating the environment well ... some things just have to be done for safety sake.  The Blue Mountains in NSW are a classic example.  If you cut down a tree that's threatening your house or clear some brush without filling in eighty different forms you'll get fined thousands by the greenie infested, wallaby humping local council.  bunch of stupid, new age [faff]s

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
Orakk

<!--fffff!!!-->

No sence of humor either them leaf lickers.  Yawn  I used to trim out Mistletoe infected branches from native trees caused by seeds delivered in bird droppings. At least once a month you'd get some nut case protesting you were killing trees and make life very hard till we started chasing them down the road with running chainsaws.  rofl
pwrguru

The same thing is happening in America's forests............They no longer clean the underbrush so when you do have a fire their is no way to control it...... Doh
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Save the forests!  Cut down a greenie!  Roll Eyes

pwrguru

Save the forests!  Cut down a greenie!  Roll Eyes
Stake them to the trees................
rwillis

Communiter Bona profundere Deum est

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I've just seen two of my favorite Tree Hugger terms - From DA - wallaby humping and From Orakk - leaf lickers......... Wallaby humping leaf lickers.......... rofl

On a more serious note .. guru is correct in the attitude in some parts of the country here as well.

Orakk

<!--fffff!!!-->

Only last night did I see footage on our ABC of the Victorian fires in action,, barrels of flames literally exploding up hills at a rate of knots I've never seen and I was caught amongst the Ash Wednesday fires here some years back. Nothing was going to stop this fire given the weather conditions but we know bush fires are part of the rejuvenation and cleansing process in this country as do our indigenous peoples,, denial is what we are getting from the 'authorities' at present. Not a surprise but disappointing just the same.

pwrguru

Are the houses made from a form of brick or are they mostly wood like in the States ??
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Depends.  Many are brick construction while others are all wood with either weather-board or cement fibre (fibro) sheeting.  Against the fires that hit these places, though, it really doesn't matter.  If you weren't inside an underground concrete bunker with enough air to last out the fire-storm, you were boned.

Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

Donkey Kong
pwrguru

I saw a special on tv awhile back about a house out in California that was totall fire resistant..............Everything and I do mean everything around this house was gone but the house was still standing with very minor damage..........
john galbraith

Position: DC Zoner

Saw a bit on tv a couple of years ago about a fire retardant that was sprayed on buildings in danger of approaching California wildfires.  It was made from the same stuff that's in disposible diapers, soaked in water, and clung to wherever it was sprayed.  Amazingly, it was 100% effective and saved every home it was used on.
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

Before diapers or after use diapers Confused
pwrguru

Saw a bit on tv a couple of years ago about a fire retardant that was sprayed on buildings in danger of approaching California wildfires.  It was made from the same stuff that's in disposible diapers, soaked in water, and clung to wherever it was sprayed.  Amazingly, it was 100% effective and saved every home it was used on.
How did one get the stuff off ??
john galbraith

Position: DC Zoner

Hosed it off with plain water I suppose.  A little of the stuff goes a long way being able to absorb and hold many times its weight in liquid.  If you're able to save your home from being burned down to the ground I don't think many people would bitch about the cleanup.
pwrguru

Sure they would............. rofl  rofl
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Here's a powerpoint slide show with some spectacular images to come out of the fires.

jc: Now up to 209  Sad
Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:00:37 AM by Dark Angel

« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
« previous next »
Jump to: