The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:December 18, 2018, 05:08:20 AM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  The Lounge
| |-+  News and Views
| | |-+  OIL
Pages: [1]
Topic: OIL (Read 5717 times) Print
sujo1

Position: Board Regular

The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April ('08) that only scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big.  It was a revised report (hadn't been updated since '95) on how much oil was in this area of the western 2/3 of  North Dakota ; western  South Dakota ; and extreme eastern  Montana ..... check THIS out:

The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since  Alaska 's  Prudhoe Bay , and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion barrels.. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable.... at $107 a barrel, we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5.3 trillion.
        'When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see their jaws hit the floor. They had no idea.' says Terry Johnson, the Montana Legislature's financial analyst.
        'This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found in the past 56 years.' reports, The Pittsburgh Post Gazette.  It's a formation known as the  Williston  Basin , but is more commonly referred to as the 'Bakken.'  And it stretches from Northern Montana, through  North Dakota and into  Canada .  For years,  U. S. oil exploration has been considered a dead end.  Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells decades ago.  However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up the Bakken's massive reserves.... and we now have access of up to 500 billion barrels.  And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL!
        That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 41 years straight.
        2. And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one should - because it's from TWO YEARS AGO!
        U. S. Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World!
        Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006
        Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the  Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION barrels.  On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. In three and a half years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this motherload of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore drilling?
        They reported this stunning news:  We have more oil inside our borders, than all the other proven reserves on earth. Here are the official estimates:
        - 8-times as much oil as  Saudi Arabia
        - 18-times as much oil as  Iraq
        - 21-times as much oil as  Kuwait
        - 22-times as much oil as  Iran
        - 500-times as much oil as  Yemen
        - and it's all right here in the  Western United States .
        HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this?  Because the environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help  America become independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of people dictate our lives and our economy....WHY?
        James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in this very compact area than the entire Middle East -more than 2 TRILLION barrels untapped.  That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in the world today, reports The Denver Post.
        Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find?  Think again!  It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to. Think OPEC just might be funding the environmentalists?
        Got your attention/ire up yet?  Hope so!  Now, while you're thinking about it ..... and hopefully P.O'd, do this:
        3. Pass this along.   If you don't take a little time to do this, then you should stifle yourself the next time you want to complain about gas prices .. because by doing NOTHING, you've forfeited your right to complain.
        --------

GOOGLE it or follow this link.  It will blow your mind.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911

-------------------------------
IP: [ Logged ]
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Group: Global Moderator
Position: Just Plain Smappy

And when the saudi's and everyone else runs outta oil, We'll still have some.  Hoghappy

What has my ire up is the auto industry not making us vehicles that get 2 to 3 times the mileage they do.
The technology is here, but OMG lets not tick off opec! FEK Opec, To hell with the big oil companies.
Sorry..  I'm just tired of seeing them whine about us not driving as much when they raise the prices at the pumps all while reporting multi billion dollar profits.  Spider

Back in the 50's? the railroad industry went to Diesel/electric for hauling freight around the country. Why?? Because ton for ton, they use less than half the fuel they would with a conventional straight diesel loco.
So...  better question is...  Why aren't we driving gas/diesel electric cars? Straight electric vehicles are still not practical, cause the battery technology just isn't here yet. All these electrics that're on the roads now? Remember 4 to 6 years from now we're going to see lots of expensive HAZMAT dead batteries needing replacement.

Those oil reserves WILL be tapped, in the future when we really need the fuel.  Let's hope we have vehicles that can run coast to coast on less than 30 gallons of fuel by then...
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

If they'll let the dinosaurs like GM go bankrupt so they don't think they have a perpetual meal ticket, they'll HAVE to get leaner and meaner.
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
john galbraith

Position: DC Zoner

Sure GP, what's a few hundred thousand more unemployed. Roll Eyes
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

it's the whole reason behind it
false economy finally came crashing down 'cause there was nothing holding it up. Country can only service the service industry people for so long before they gotta restructure and actually MAKE something that peeps will buy. Roll Eyes
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Group: Global Moderator

If a bank fails, then the BANK fails...  Maybe couple thousand outta work...

If GM goes under, then you have GM, and all the various companies they get their parts from go under as well.
Few million folks outta work..  Doh

They shoulda gave the bail out money to the FDIC, and had them protect the retirement funds the banks lost...
Then seized all the banks assets to sell at auction to recoup some of the expense... And then let them DIE!!!

If we can keep folks on the job, not worrying about rebuilding a lost retirement fund, THEN they'll spend money keeping bidnesses open. Wallstreet recovers. and all is better...
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
john galbraith

it's the whole reason behind it
false economy finally came crashing down 'cause there was nothing holding it up. Country can only service the service industry people for so long before they gotta restructure and actually MAKE something that peeps will buy. Roll Eyes

You don't understand the problem at all.  The Big 3 have much higher costs than the Japs because they have to pay for pensions and healthcare for hundreds of thousands of retirees that the Jap companies have not been around long enough here to face yet.  The Japs also were savvy enough to put their plants in Southern states where unions were weak or nonexistant and American labor was/is cheaper for them than at home.
As far as quality goes, I'd stack American quality today against anything out of Japan.  The Japs cars aren't perfect.  Do some digging and you'll see that they have plenty of issues requiring recalls of cars and trucks around the world.  They're just better at downplaying them and the mass media doesn't make as big an issue out of them.
john galbraith

If GM goes under, then you have GM, and all the various companies they get their parts from go under as well.

They shoulda gave the bail out money to the FDIC, and had them protect the retirement funds the banks lost...
Then seized all the banks assets to sell at auction to recoup some of the expense... And then let them DIE!!!

If we can keep folks on the job, not worrying about rebuilding a lost retirement fund, THEN they'll spend money keeping bidnesses open. Wallstreet recovers. and all is better...

Fing is right.  I don't know if this is still accurate, but it was recently said that as many as 1 job in 7 in the US was related to the automotive industry.  Let GM fail and you'll force the closure of hundreds of other manufacturing companies too.  The end result will be millions out of work with absolutely no place to go for the majority of them.  Who knows, with the massive loss of revenue to the Treasury, even GP's government check could be in jeopardy and she might finally take her head out of Rush Limbaugh's arse.
pwrguru

I WORK TO BREAK THIS FORUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not a so called "white collar" crime to wipe out someones savings........ The banks have committed murder on a very large scale and we give them more money......At least the auto industry is trying to do the right thing and take care of their retired people..............
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

yeah...just like the airlines did Roll Eyes
pwrguru

yeah...just like the airlines did Roll Eyes
That isn't the subject............I don't see why you are comparing the Big 3 with the airlines..........
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

Same business model
pwrguru

Not even close...............
rwillis

Communiter Bona profundere Deum est

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Agreed - the retirement funds/ Health coverage were being counted upon by many, SS was never intended as the final security blanket, only as an supplement to what companies did for their retired employees........ Now the funds have been raided over and over again to prop up an non existent business model. And the companies say so sorry your [slightly modified]. This is directly affecting members of my family in an adverse way. Pension funds paid into to over 30 yrs are gone, health benefits paid into and promised gone.

I'm close to the point of cashing in my Military benefits while they still exist, I'm blessed to have a good job that can pay for these things for myself and my boys at the moment. But the more I look at it I might as well sock that money away, and use what I have while it is still there.

pwrguru

Nothing is a given these days..............Just to have a job can't be taken for granted anymore........
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

It never should have been.  I think that's half our trouble, people stopped fighting to keep things because they thought they were "entitled" to them.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
pwrguru

But it goes both ways............Companies no longer care about their people so people no longer care about the companies they work for..........
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Once the companies bought the government that was only a matter of time.  Doh

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

It never should have been.  I think that's half our trouble, people stopped fighting to keep things because they thought they were "entitled" to them.
Hear, hear.
And companies never DID care about their people, only small businesses. Wish my Dad was alive to tell you the horror stories from when he worked at GM and the back room deals between union management and management-management ['cause those leaders were all on the same side and sucking their workers dry on dues]. Cured him so badly of working for corporate America that he went out, started his own business, got 5 offices open around the state in his heyday, and kept a stable employee base because he pointed out he didn't want his unemployment rates to go above minimum and stable employees cost him LESS than their above-average salaries over the long run in health insurance, unemployment insurance, workers comp, theft, production losses, etc.

The only time he ever fired people was if they stole or drank. His rule - drunks are charming. That's how they get away with it. But no matter HOW charming, they screw up everyone else's lives along with their own. Don't ever hire one and fire 'em the minute they start. Saw his lesson in action when a guy working for him got thrown thru a plate glass window at a bar and had to have his face rebuilt. I was running the books and payroll under Dad's watchful eye at that point and the cost to our company was staggering. Dad got him thru until he was working again, then let him go with the admonition that wasn't the company image he wanted to project and to sober up.

That "up Rush Limbaugh's butt" family attitude kept the 5 offices with 11 employees each on average open and feeding those families for 30 years until the industry changed. Dad was smart enough to see he was producing "buggy whips in a car world" as he put it and sold the offices to whomever wanted to run them and shut down the rest. After working 67 years [which freaked out the government clerical workers who couldn't conceive of anyone working a day beyond what they had to!], my parents discovered they got NO benefits from their government other than taxes on their retirement. As the lady said, "If they hadn't paid off their house, saved more than $3k, and had only 1 car, they'd be fully covered. But they did everything they were supposed to, so they don't qualify for more than Medicare." Lesson learned! Roll Eyes
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: [1]
« previous next »
Jump to: