The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:December 12, 2018, 10:50:26 AM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  DC Projects
| |-+  World Community Grid
| | |-+  Alzheimer's
Pages: [1]
Topic: Alzheimer's (Read 4772 times) Print
gordoma

Group: Global Moderator
Position: Board Regular

Hi All

WCG is Beta testing a new project at the moment. As usual, they don't let on to what it is but could the name of the Beta files be a giveaway, or could it be a red herring?

BETA_ 00001720_ TrkB_ 0002_ 0-- is the name of one of the units, and the only discernable info in there is "TrkB". I'm no Biologist, but who needs to be when you've got Google and Wiki? A quick look takes me to the TrkB page, which states:

"TrkB is the high affinity catalytic receptor for several "neurotrophins", which are small protein growth factors that induce the survival and differentiation of distinct cell populations."

Could that sound more like a WCG project? The whole think about survival of cell populations and anything with the word Neuro in made me think of Alzheimer's. A quick search pulls up lots of work on Alzheimer's involving TrkB and neurotrophins, so I hope that this is where the WCG work is heading.

I've lost two family members to Alzheimer's and recently watched a documentatry about Terry Pratchett's fight with the condition... I know that there has been some requests for this as a project from the Community, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
-------------------------------
Matt

IP: [ Logged ]
Dark Angel

Position: Just Plain Smappy

Only slightly cranky

If it does come up I'll throw in with it.  Thumbs Up

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

My mother lost her memory and herself to this the last years of her life. I'll throw EVERYTHING I have at it AND pull the clunker out of the closet if this rolls out.
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
gordoma

There has been some discussion on this on the WCG board and the suggestion is that because of the use of Autodock that this might be phase 2 of the Muscular dystrophy project - which should be coming along soon. However, given the research they are doing with TrkB and it's connection with Alzheimer's, even if it isn't directly an Alzheimer's project, there could be associated advances made in that area.

If it's not directly Alzheimers, if anyone knows of any research that could be used for WCG then point it in the right direction and it could get on there.
Matt

gordoma

My mother lost her memory and herself to this the last years of her life.

Sorry to hear that GP, it took my Uncle a few years ago. I know what it's like to have someone there in body and not in mind - it must be so much worse when it's a parent. I don't want to see that happen to anyone else I love so I'm willing to concentrate on this one over all others if it comes to fruition (except perhaps cancer, which has also taken a few of my family members).
Matt

pwrguru

I WORK TO BREAK THIS FORUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If and when it does come out I may move a machine or two back there for the long haul........
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

My mother lost her memory and herself to this the last years of her life. I'll throw EVERYTHING I have at it AND pull the clunker out of the closet if this rolls out.

I still have (and use  Embarrassed ) clunker parts.  If the call comes, sing out and we'll see how much shine we can put back on those girls.  Thumbs Up

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

Thanks, everyone. It was so weird that she could remember me, but forget her parents, her brothers and sisters [all 15 of 'em!], even that my dad was dead Sad She slowly forgot how to dial the phone, how to change TV channels [it stayed stuck on CNN 24/7], even that we were in the middle of a hurricane  Brick Wall Finally, the part of the brain that controls hunger and thirst burns out and the body just stops.
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
rwillis

Communiter Bona profundere Deum est

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I'll bet Base Camp could go on a trip as well.........

pwrguru

I'll bet Base Camp could go on a trip as well.........
Has been awhile.........
rwillis

Communiter Bona profundere Deum est

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Last December................ We're kinda due for a spring trip, but I'd rather wait fer something new to run, plus I gotta finish the badge from the last run first.

pwrguru

Serious Crunchers is going to run WCG for our April project...........
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: [1]
« previous next »
Jump to: