The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:April 25, 2018, 07:33:08 AM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  Tech Talk
| |-+  Linux
| | |-+  Useful Linux Links n Info
Pages: [1]
Topic: Useful Linux Links n Info (Read 4349 times) Print
PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM
Position: DC Zoner

*squeek*

I seem to be asked more and more these days about linux...figured a nice lil spot for links and some general info would be good to toss up here.

For those looking into linux for the first time...a live cd is a good spot to start.  A live cd is basically a bootable linux cd...download it, burn it, reboot with it, and you'll be up and running linux, and can get a feel for things before actually making changes to your system. Smiley  Knoppix is a popular choice for this, and Ubuntu has one available as well.

If you're ready to jump in, time to pick a distro and start downloading. Cheesy  I generally recommend Ubuntu to beginners...It's very newbie friendly, and has lots of resources geared to those new to linux.  Here's their how to for beginners...it contains a lot of information, but should help answer most questions.  http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=13042

Here's a how-to for dual booting, posted by Richard Greatorex: http://phoenix.csc.calpoly.edu/~kvoelker/cgi-bin/counter/cis122/dual-boot.cgi

Here's another one I noticed that includes screenshots...basically the same thing, except geared towards Ubuntu instead of Fedora: http://ca.geocities.com/[email protected]/ubuntu/windowsxp.html

Wireless internet how-to: http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Wireless_networking

Do note that wireless is probably one of the more painful thing to get working in linux, but this is slowly improving.  Many even find wireless working out of the box these days.

A few other links:
Distrowatch: http://distrowatch.com/
 -giant collection of available distros and info on them
LinuxISO: http://www.linuxiso.org/
 -another site of distro information
-------------------------------
IP: [ Logged ]
retep57

Position: Board Regular

people asking u cos u one of the few who actually  does run griddy thingies on linux, not many people using linux, i amhappy enoguh with windows just not wanting to pay  thru the nose for 3rd and or more windows legit copies...

so have u got a simple  1.2.3 hot to get from zero to crunching in a 3 easy steps??  cheers
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

for grid.org, yes one of the few because it's unsupported Tongue

for fad, there are a handful here that have been successful. Cheesy  and i fold under linux, so that works well, also.  i can't provide much more directions for grid other then what's already been stated in the handful of threads floating around grid forums.  i tried this method with wcg, though despite the similarities between wcg and grid, they have altered something in the code to cause it not to be able to download units.  more luck might be had with commercial wine, though probably better off waiting for a true linux version for wcg if that be your project of choice.

i fold, i'm happy. MrGreen
comp_interrlz

legit copies of windows -   Hoghappy
retep57

ok so "copy" in the sense that the manufacturer woul dhave copied from a master disk etc...

ok ok, so no such thing as a legit copy for home user in the pedantic sense - which i did not mean... pedantic has several meanings btw
VAIO GRX616

'Nix n00b

Hi Retep, glad you found your way to the DC Zone  Cheesy

You mentioned a "1-2-3" for Linux crunching - there is a very good one for FaD here.  Click the "Linux Readme" for some general info, but the best bit is the link marked "USALUG".  I found this invaluable - a total idiot's guide to install FaD in Linux, which worked without a hitch  Thumbs Up
retep57

says linux fad is running, i cant find it  on the puter ( i can see  the files in the system) but not a "box" or wotever, hmm thanx for advice, it did say it was working but i cant tell anymore  .  hmmm wot it the next step? the "idiiots" setup from usalug seemed to do the trick but next step how can i tell wot is running or not etc etc  cheers  .. best tips yet thanx, 1st time i installed a prog in linux , and i think ) ok THINK is the word   think  think ies running LOL

./server -list
j1-1ev2-q2.log                   localhost        22:26 15-OCT-05 23:15 15-OCT-0 5  5  43%  0      3
All Jobs: 0 completed ( 0%) 0 failed 0 queued 1 running 0 stalled
 hmm i "think" it is running
 i will have to do the ./server -list every now and then to see if something is really happening, hmm this is encouraging,  still feel like total newbie not ssure wot the 43%  means, other place sez 0% completed,, hmmm
VAIO GRX616

'Nix n00b

If you are using Ubuntu (prob works with others) right click on the toolbar at the top and select "Add" - you can put a little graphical CPU monitor on the toolbar.  Should be at 100%.

Also, make sure you have your connection set to "When on-line" (if you're on b/band).  Otherwise jobs will complete and sit there for 12 hours  Rolleyes

HTH
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

one other tip...

from console, run the command "top", it'll give you a listing of current running processes, how much cpu and memory is taken up and such. Smiley  to exit that screen, hit the q button.

i'm going to close this thread as i was intending it to just be a spot of info, and then have discussion in other threads.  seems there are multiple linux threads floating around, should be easy enough to find a spot to ask questions, and if not, feel free to open another thread Tongue
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: [1]
« previous next »
Jump to: