The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:December 18, 2018, 01:08:18 PM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  Forum Related
| |-+  Sig Test Area
| | |-+  The Rant Thread Part II
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]
Topic: The Rant Thread Part II (Read 155332 times) Print
Dark Angel

Position: Just Plain Smappy

Only slightly cranky

Oh I get told in plenty of time ... usually  Roll Eyes ... but the actual turn direction has been known to be quite random  Doh by the way, that's when she "KNOWS" where we're going ... God help us if I ask her to read a map! 
-------------------------------

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
IP: [ Logged ]
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Group: Global Moderator

TomTom is my friend..  Hoghappy 
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Better not let me "tweak" the voice nav then  Devil

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

The wife (in all her insanity) Has her device set up with the voice of Darth Vader.  Not the most polite of direction givers.  lol

and instead of reaching her destination. She has completed her path to the dark side.  Doh  lol
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

Twisted  Devil  Whistle
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM
Position: DC Zoner

*squeek*

almost a year since anyone had a rant here? Thinking  will fix that....

Brick Wall  Got home today, went and picked up a few odds and ends to get through the weekend then sat down at the computer to catch up with the world.  Turn on computer, Windows loads and Flash gives it's whine about wanting an update.  Give it the ok....afterwards, open up Firefox, then have it freeze after loading a second tab in the browser, followed by memory dump bsod. Doh  Ok....reboot...Windows reports some "serious error", and sends me to a page saying it thinks something's wrong with the RAM.  Really don't feel like trying to debug hardware issues during the little time I get at home now that I'm back on a regular travel schedule. Confused Doh Brick Wall  Tried loading the Ubuntu install on another partition on same machine, no luck there either. Doh

For now, I'll just avoid the quad attached to the 24" monitor, and use the i7 attached to the 40" monitor and full surround system...hmm, perhaps that's not a bad thing....
Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:33:58 PM by PiNkY
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Oh you poor deprived child..   rofl
john galbraith

Bummer.

Had some issues lately myself.  The HDD on my everyday surfer started freezing up intermitently crashing the machine.  I put in a spare 250 GB drive with a fresh XP install and slaved the original 160 gig problem drive to it and it's been fine.  Copied off the important stuff from the 160 just in case it crashes for good but so far have been able to access it without problems.
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

Oh you poor deprived child..   rofl

I'll just have to make do... lol

John - thinking of doing similar, as my gut is thinking the hdd moreso then the ram. Pretty sure I have a TB drive in the i7 rig still going unused (it's my media machine, when I built it, I loaded it with several drives so I wouldn't have to pull it apart later down the line to add more, though I didn't plug them all in).  Then again, I still have a pretty hefty OC on the machine having issues, so that might be smarter to check...haven't had issues running it at that speed for like 2 years straight though, but then again I'm no longer doing much on that rig that benefits from the extra clock speed anyhow.
jan649

slacker spy

almost a year since anyone had a rant here? Thinking  will fix that....

Brick Wall  ....  Turn on computer, Windows loads and Flash gives it's whine about wanting an update.  Give it the ok....afterwards, open up Firefox, then have it freeze after loading a second tab in the browser, followed by memory dump bsod. Doh  Ok....reboot...Windows reports some "serious error", and sends me to a page saying it thinks something's wrong with the RAM.  .........

sat down in front of puter today and flash wants to update  Thinking Thinking
{see above from PiNkY}

Thinking Thinking Thinking Whistle

think I will wait for a day or two  Thumbs Up

PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

ruled out flash causing it because i doubt it broke the linux install as well... Tongue  memtest moving along smoothly so far, didn't notice anything unusual on the psu rails.  will see how memtest results look later today after it gets through a couple passes. Popcorn
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

7.5+ hours of memtest running later, memory looks solid...guess again windows. lol

definitely looks like my initial gut suspicion is holding true on the hdd issue... Brick Wall

* img.jpg (73.09 KB, 800x478 - viewed 358 times.)
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Nah  it's your $400 graphics card...  Takes a dump when the OS attempts to do any hardware accelerated or GUI related stuff.

Fried due to Flash's poor implementation of hardware acceleration that doesn't release the GPU after use resulting in said GPU running at 100% till you either restart the rig or the card cooks itself.

[note] That and an unacceptable dust build up is what killed the wife's 9800GT.
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

that rig has a graphics card that costs about 1/10th of that... lol  just pulled it open to have a look at the drive - quite a bit of dust, but i've seen worse.

old wd raptor. has a date of march 2007 on it - and has a 5 year warranty.  guess i'll get to see how well their warranty department works...
jan649

slacker spy

Whistle Whistle
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

shiny new drive up and running...so far so good...  forced me to finally install the copy of windows 7 i had for this machine - bought one of those family pack 3 license upgrade deals early on, though had been too lazy to back up what i had stored and make use of it.  will save salvaging data on the old drive for next weekend.

well, that's the last of my own machines running xp.  only machine left that i'm pretty much in charge of maintaining is mom's desktop...which is another Brick Wall .......she had been complaining about it randomly rebooting, though i hadn't seen it do so until today.  quick run of the usual tests, finally end up opening things up to have a look on the inside, and see a bulging capacitor... Doh  wonder if i can find a reasonably priced s754 board on fleabay... Thinking
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Nope!  not one you'd trust anyway...

Under $400 you can get one of them bundles newegg sells wif some pretty nice specs..
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

at the $400 mark, i start considering recommending low end laptop, since she's been eyeing one for a while...
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Ahhh...  and there in lies my problem...  I don't do low end.  ROFL!! 

some nice notebooks out and about in the $400- $500 range now days.  Probably be even more the closer we get to Christmas.
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

her use: turn on computer, check facebook, close browser.  check email, close browser. open skype to see if someone is online to chat with. close skype.

no multitasking, no heavy duty use.  she could get away with a netbook attached to her monitor and keyboard and never notice the difference... rofl
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

My dad enjoys te hell out of his little Acer netbook..  Fool went and put Windows 7 on the thing..  Decided he liked it that way...

Only problem he has with it is Intel's lack of proper drivers for the GPU.  No hardware acceleration so all the video has to be run through it's baby CPU. lol
Does a surprisingly good job of it. (Just don't try the HD stuff off'n youtube. lol
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]
« previous next »
Jump to: