The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:November 19, 2017, 02:25:09 AM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  Tech Talk
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Handy crunching hardware tips!
Pages: [1]
Topic: Handy crunching hardware tips! (Read 4242 times) Print
gordoma

Group: Global Moderator
Position: Board Regular

Hi All

This is a good thread for any general hardware recommendations you may have to help fellow crunchers.

Please only make recommendations on this thread. If you want to discuss the pros and cos of any of these items, please start a new thread in the Hardware forum.

I'll set the ball rolling...

I have a number of laptops running the WCG client and they do suffer from heat problems. Althought I did have a makeshift solution to this of proping the fronts up and pointing a desk fan at them, it was very untidy, took up a lot of room and was quite noisy.

Since then I have purchased some coolers from Antec. They are very quiet, take up little power, run off the USB port and have a USB passthru so that you don't lose the use of a USB port by plugging it in.

More importantly, some of the lockups due to overheating are now not a problem.

Antec NoteBook Cooler

-------------------------------
Matt

IP: [ Logged ]
gordoma

Group: Global Moderator
Position: Board Regular

For CPU cooling, I highly recommend the Arctic Cooling Freezer 4 Cooler. It really is efficient, light-weight, quiet and cools much better than your basic heatsink and fan. Plus it looks like a hotrod engine or something! You just need to make sure you have enough room for it in your case.

Here's a pic - click for more info:

Matt

Cousin Caterpillar

BABE MAGNET
Position: Chatterbox

Wake me up when it's my turn.....zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ

I noticed that the UD agent rounds your processor speed to determine your score.

So a processor overclocked to 2352MHz receives the same score as one overclocked to 2448MHz. UD recognizes both as 2.4GHz and assigns the same score.

I tested this back in my Grid days but since WCG also uses the UD agent, my overclocks are still rounded up on WCG. All my overclocks follow the nn5nMHz pattern.
Tabajara

Group: Absolute Slacker
Position: DC Zoner

I use a Zalman CNPS9500 LED CPU Cooler to cool my oc'ed CPU near silently, and I'm very happy with it MrGreen

Come put your idle CPU cycles into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] teamThumbs Up
Dark Angel

Position: Just Plain Smappy

Only slightly cranky

As a few will know I run two headless rigs, ie no monitor, keyboard etc as well as my primary tower for 24/7 crunching.  As I've built these things from 2nd hand parts, I'm always on the look out for ways to get the most out of this gear.  Here's  few things I've learnt.

> If you don't use it, disable it.
- I have no use for serial, game, sound, printer, USB or firewire ports on my headless machines.  When left active the cpu checks them for activity at regular intervals.  Disabling them in BIOS frees up those cpu cycles for something usefull.
- Since the systems are headless, there is no point in having a screen saver active.  Disable it.  In Linux, kill the daemon.  Do the same thing with the printer service/daemon, it's just wasting cycles.
-In windoh's, disable the indexing service.  If you find a way, kill it with a stick.
- Don't leave the remote desktop running when you're not using it.  On my P3 850 (for example) it consumes almost half the available cpu cycles.
- If you're not actively using the remote server connection, unmount the folders from you're primary rig.
- Disable any and every memory consuming feature you don't specifically use.  Fancy wallpaper is a waste of ram on a headless machine, as are lots of icons.
- If you don't use the cd/dvd drive, floppy drive, card reader, scsi adaptor card ... whatever, disconnect them.  They're a waste of power and cpu cycles.
- In your BIOS boot options, set it to "return to previous state" after a power failure.
- In your session manager (or whatever the windohs version is called) set the machine to auto log on to your user account.
- If your headless system is running in the root/administrator account, kick yourself.  Now do it again.  This is a BAD thing.  Set up a "user" account and run out of that.  If you're not sure how, ask.  Someone WILL help you.
- Keep your systems clean.  Dust and lint build-up can kill a system by blocking cooling air flow.  Many systems these days have thermal scaling built-in, so if they get too hot they will UNDERCLOCK themselves to keep the heat down. The nature of electrical componants gives a similar effect in power supplies.  If they get too hot, they end up with reduced capacity.  Blow them out occationally.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: [1]
« previous next »
Jump to: