The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:July 19, 2019, 06:42:21 PM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  Tech Talk
| |-+  Hardware
| | |-+  Old hardware behavior
Pages: [1]
Topic: Old hardware behavior (Read 3052 times) Print
john galbraith

Position: DC Zoner

I know that everyone here, with the possible exception of DA, traded up to multicore pc's long ago but I haven't been able to and now I get my kicks out of nursing along old iron.
 My daily use internet pc is an eMachines T3256, about 7 years old, a well reviewed box when it came out.  It has an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor rated at 2.20 GHz with a 200MHz fsb.
 Late last year this pc started acting oddly, freezing up and/or crashing while doing tasks that had been no trouble before.  My first thought was that the HDD was going south so I put in another one and slaved the original to it.  Everything was OK for awhile so I figured the new drive did the trick until last week when the crashing started again.  Started digging around for a cause and installed Lavalys Everest software to see full specs and temps and that's when I discovered something strange.  The Athlon XP 3200+ was being seen as a regular Athlon proc rated at 1.1 gig with a 100 MHz fsb.  Somehow the pc had lost half its processing power.  I went into the BIOS and changed the fsb back to 200 MHz and that got the proc back to 2.2 GHz.  Reinstalled the original HDD as the master and booted it up.  It's been running just like new for a week now.  Haven't the foggiest how this happened but it seems to be corrected now. Huh?
-------------------------------
IP: [ Logged ]
cswchan

Position: Chatterbox

Had that happen a long time ago... would befine if left on... turn it off for any amount of time... drops the fsb... Change the battery.  Goog Luck.
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Group: Global Moderator
Position: Just Plain Smappy

Sounds about right..  CMOS battery on the motherboard has most likely died.  Easy enough to replace if emachine didn't solder the bastid in place.
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
cswchan

Most of them use a CR 2032 I believe...
cswchan

Forgat... pull the battery out, move the switch/jumper from 'Run' to 'Clear BIOS', then move back to 'Run', replace the battery, but and go to your Bios and reset everything.
john galbraith

Position: DC Zoner

I did change the battery and, fing, it wasn't soldered in.  The pc probably hasn't been turned off for more than 24 hrs at a stretch in its lifetime.  Usually just turn off the monitor and leave the tower running.  Less wear and tear on the psu and HDD
When this machine went down the second time I fired up an even older Compaq that hadn't been used in a while.  It started acting wierd right away because the the clock was wrong and the date was April 12, 5639!  The processor specs weren't affected by this.  Changed the battery and reset the clock and calendar and all was well.  There was no need to go into the BIOS to reset anything.
Dark Angel

Position: Just Plain Smappy

Only slightly cranky

The CMOS battery is my first instinct as well.  Next would be to make sure it's clear of dust bunnies and possibly replace the old thermal compound which could well have dried to dust and air by now.  After that it's the standard "re-seat everything".

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: [1]
« previous next »
Jump to: