The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:August 20, 2017, 12:22:09 PM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  Tech Talk
| |-+  Software
| | |-+  Windows 8 - First Installmet
Pages: [1]
Topic: Windows 8 - First Installmet (Read 5265 times) Print
rwillis

Communiter Bona profundere Deum est
Position: Just Plain Smappy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Ok - running Winblows8 on the other Intel Core i7-620M - ans so far I'm not impressed - might be ok on a tablet, but on a Lappy - screen is clutter, and I love this - they have charms that can be invoked - Like [win] button XXX for something... now according to the help - you 'invoke a charm' for things.  I tried [win] stfu and it didn't work..... lol

Running Windows 8 64 bit, and will post more after I've played a bit, just got it yesterday.  
-------------------------------

IP: [ Logged ]
PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM
Position: DC Zoner

*squeek*

charms? rofl Doh
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Yep, as in Lucky Charms.  Saccharin sweet and guaranteed to make your pancreas implode.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Group: Global Moderator

Fing's review of Winblows 8.

Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

<looks for the 'like' button for Fing's post>

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM

*squeek*

i was amused at a colleague at work the other day saying it was the greatest thing ever, and that everyone should get their surface tablet... Doh
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

That's just it, on the tablet, Winblows 8 wouldn't be too bad. Well? that's the format the new GUI was designed for.

However, there is still the downside of MS never having been able to out a respectable OS for portable devices.
They still haven't learned one can not one size fits all the OS and expect it to run correctly on all the different hardware configurations.

It's what makes IOS and Android better than anything MS will probably ever put out. Tweaked for the hardware they are installed on.
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
rwillis

Ok after using a little more........ it takes some getting used to, mainly on the GUI's and User Interfaces, but not as bad as I originally thought. I've also seen it run on an XPS12 Convertible, I understand the appeal, especially for younger IPad users, and ID10T Sales types.... I still wouldn't upgrade........ Funny how they now want you to use Keyboard Shortcuts for things, when the mouse and Windows in general was supposed to replace all of that years ago.

TLD

I've heard there is still a desktop like we are use to that you can use instead of the tablet interface, are you using the desktop interface or the tablet?
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

There is, but there's no "Start" menu unless you add one yourself with an additional application.  The real trouble is that in order to become "certified" and allowed on the "Windows Market" they are required to use the Metro interface rather than the desktop.

rwillis

I've heard there is still a desktop like we are use to that you can use instead of the tablet interface, are you using the desktop interface or the tablet?
Yes there is, and it's kinda like what we're all used to, but it wants to go back to tiles........ You'd figure - at least I do.... that they would have been smart enough to check the machine type first, and auto adjust from a tablet/touch screen to PC/non touch screen interface on installation.

DA is correct there is no real 'Start' button, you have to customize one in - otherwise yout have to use the keyboard shortcut - a PIA after all these years of 'start' button action.

TLD

I always add a toolbar i call menu then shrink it till it looks like a button on the toolbar that has shortcuts to all the frequently used apps anyway can you still do stuff like that?
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

TLD, that's a default feature in XFCE 4.6 (I'm running Slackware 14.0).  They're called "launchers" and you can have several application "shortcuts" in each one but only take up a single icon on the panel (errrrrm ... "taskbar").

Every other commentary of Windows H8 I've read also suggest that multi-tasking is a PIA.  Multi-tasking was the whole point of Windows 95.  Before that it was one application at a time.  *nix had the ability for a user to have multiple terminals open at a time and have multiple applications open and running at a time way before Windows was a greasy stain in Ballmer's underpants.  Now it looks like they're taking that away.
I once had a customer tell me, "If you make something simple enough for idiots to use, you'll end up with only idiots using it."  Windows H8 is headed right into that full steam ahead and damn the ice-bergs!
... and if you think 8 is bad, have a good hard think about Windows Blue and the implications on the whole industry.  It's scary as hell!

« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: [1]
« previous next »
Jump to: