The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:December 13, 2019, 11:33:48 PM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  DC Projects
| |-+  World Community Grid
| | |-+  Current Project Progress
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Topic: Current Project Progress (Read 14610 times) Print
EvoDude

Position: DC Zoner

Missing Kiwi

Picked this up at the main WCG Forum today. Just wanted to show it off here just in case anyone missed it, and for all members of 'other' projects to see the full extent of WCG members contributions.
Keep up the good work at WCG - we're members of the hardest working team and we get the best feedback from our scientific users.
-------------------------------
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
WildWilber

Position: Hmm...

Thanks EvoDude. Cheesy

I did miss it, I've been so busy.
IP: [ Logged ]
pwrguru

I WORK TO BREAK THIS FORUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Position: Just Plain Smappy

A couple of new projects are waiting in the wings and hopefully we shall find out what they are soon.. Popcorn  Popcorn  Popcorn
VAIO GRX616

'Nix n00b

Quote from: "EvoDude"
. . . we're members of the hardest working team and we get the best feedback from our scientific users.

Aye, that Dr Bonneau is a top bloke alright  Thumbs Up
EvoDude

Missing Kiwi

The latest feedback from WCG on the their forum shows us fast approaching project completion with WCG contribution showing our tremendous effort to their work.

Keep it up folks - they do appreciate us

There is also some other interesting info just appeared there that makes interesting reading. I'll just add the link and let you all read it for yourselves.
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Group: Global Moderator
Position: Just Plain Smappy

Shock    rofl  rofl

Sounds to me like someone has been over reading the Grid forums .  Hoghappy  lol
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
vaio

[email protected] cheerleader and Mod!!!

I like the human element............these guys give information  Shock  but also manage to be fun at the same time  Shock
Schizophrenia is all a matter of opinions!

We eat pie not count Pi
EvoDude

Missing Kiwi

Quote from: "fingerle"
Shock    rofl  rofl

Sounds to me like someone has been over reading the Grid forums .  Hoghappy  lol

Yeah, but only the WCG forums fing - still haven'y visited the other place since I left Wink
PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM

*squeek*

so...i just read over there, and am curious.

dr bonneau is working for isb, right?  not wcg?  and isb is using both wcg and grid to complete the rosetta project.  however his comment here is curious...is this a comment to be seen against grid, and therefore against one of the people his own project is using to complete rosetta? Confused

i still stand by wondering why he posts all sorts of updates at wcg and doesn't say a word at grid...
vaio

Well since when has grid mentioned ISB?

We eat pie not count Pi
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

Current Project: Human Proteome Folding
United Devices has begun a new and exciting research project -- the Human Proteome Folding Project -- in collaboration with the Institute for Systems Biology, the University of Washington, and IBM Corporation.

Popcorn
vaio

I repeat........since when?Huh??

No doubt you pulled that off of an official announcement.
What since that initial announcement?

We eat pie not count Pi
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

regardless of whether or not grid mentions them...is it not curious that the people running rosetta completely ignore grid, yet pay so much attention to wcg?  same people running the project, whether they're mentioned or not shouldn't change whether or not it would be nice for them to at least copy/paste their updates in a thread at grid forum or something... Thinking
vaio

Dunno....not into politics.

But partnerships are supposed to be a two way street.

Don't see/hear much from Washington Uni either

We eat pie not count Pi
EvoDude

Missing Kiwi

I just think it says a lot for level of respect towards the relative crunching teams Thumbs Up

He He, I can dig at 'the other place' here 'cos, for once, I'm in the right thread.
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

i dunno, there's something fishy about it all, especially when throwing in that comment i linked to....  even if he did think better of one over the other, posting it as he did i think is a bad step...
EvoDude

Missing Kiwi

Sorry PiNkY, missed that link first time through - I read it as the extra work was at World Community Grid especially as I know he does not place these posts in 'the other place'.

After all, if you wanted the extra work done quickly and efficiently would you waste your time issuing it to 'the other place' They would take 3 months just getting servers ready to run it then they would crash and not be able to get any of the work back from crunchers. While all this was happening WCG members would have it all done and dusted. I accept I'm male but you know I'm still right! Wink
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

think i missed where you were going with your post, evo Huh

no argument that wcg seems to get this done faster then grid (why this is true is another oddity...look at the stats between the two and explain how what the statistics show and what the chart posted shows relate to one another...they don't seem to match up at all).......no doubt that wcg will pull through the last bit of work faster then grid.

but...going from my earlier post...is this not like stabbing one in the back?  have someone do your work, then go say things elsewhere that puts them in a negative light?  though what he says may be true.....i still say, poor show by that post...lost a bit of respect from me with that there.  if fad or folding were to say similar, it wouldn't bother me...be proud about it, fine.  but he represents isb, which i would think should be working equally with wcg and grid.  then makes that comment. Huh

note i'm not saying this to purposely support grid, more out of the interest of fairness...something's not right, though people still seem happy with it all.  just rocking the boat a bit.
VAIO GRX616

'Nix n00b

I would have to agree with Pinky, I enjoy Dr Bonneau's posts and think it's great that we (WCG) get such feedback.  But I did wonder at the apparent digs at Grid.org - or at least I read them as such.

It is possible that the end users of the data, especially ISB, have had similar problems with UD like the crunchers have.  My feeling from the postings by the WCG techs and UD Robbie Brewer is that WCG is more approachable - for want of a better way of putting it.  If Dr Bonneau has to deal with these people then he may be venting some frustration.  If he is then it is a little unprofessional - but should make for interesting reading  Popcorn
EvoDude

Missing Kiwi

Quote from: "PiNkY"
note i'm not saying this to purposely support grid, more out of the interest of fairness...something's not right, though people still seem happy with it all. just rocking the boat a bit.

Yeah, I know what you mean PiNkY - my comment was slightly toungue in cheek to rock the boat a bit too Wink

I do agree that all projects involved should be treated equally but don't tell anybody I stuck up for 'the other place' 'cos I will deny every word of it!
WildWilber

dr bonneau is working for isb, right? not wcg? and isb is using both wcg and grid to complete the rosetta project. however his comment here is curious...is this a comment to be seen against grid, and therefore against one of the people his own project is using to complete rosetta?  Confused  

I would suspect so. I imagine, as some others have suggested, that ISB may be frustrated with the shenanigans that have taken place at Grid.org during 2005.

I personally don't see anything wrong with Bonneau’s statement. He never indicated any specific grid effort so unless you came from Grid.org and know about their troubles you wouldn’t think he was talking about them.

I will however agree in lacking an understanding for why he doesn't at least cut and paste his progress posts over to Grid.org forums anyway. If people over there were regularly confronted with their diminished HPF contributions more questions may be asked and more answers received. Considering all the turmoil about productivity this year at Grid.org I know that if I had seen the discrepancies between the two grids in the progress bar sooner, while I was still at Grid.org, I would have felt appreciative.

One additional thought...doesn’t the primary link from Grid.org for the HPF project go directly to WCG? Perhaps WCG really is ISB’s primary focus. Thinking
EvoDude

Missing Kiwi

'the other place' would probably delete his post as an advert for WCG.  :idea:  Maybe that's why they never see it over there! After all, they are leaking members to so many other projects already that they perhaps daren't let remaining crunchers see this..
WildWilber

Actually, while the thought is kind of cynical MrGreen, you may be right.
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

i still can't read that post without multiple thoughts going through my head...perhaps it's just late, but as i reread it this time, i laughed...

Many grid projects run out of work and resend redundant work units to keep their volunteers from migrating or loosing interest… NOT HPF!

if grid is losing people due to redundant cancer units...they must not have interest or have lost interest in hpf... lol Doh  (it's late, i'll probably reread this in the morning and see something different)

right now i really want to post the open-ended question of what his stance is in regards to grid.org's status, as it may help either confirm or clear up thoughts, though i'll likely fumble up the post. Tongue

Quote from: "EvoDude"
'the other place' would probably delete his post as an advert for WCG.  :idea:  Maybe that's why they never see it over there! After all, they are leaking members to so many other projects already that they perhaps daren't let remaining crunchers see this..

lol.  the posts that have made their way over from wcg have stayed so far...despite the most recent ones wcg plugs Tongue
oVo

Position: Chatterbox

Good points.  If both Grid and WCG are outlets for ISB why in the world would they favor one over the other?  Maybe someone needs to pose this question to the good doctor himself.
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
« previous next »
Jump to: