The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:December 15, 2019, 08:29:00 PM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  DC Projects
| |-+  World Community Grid
| | |-+  WCG BOINC Windows Client
Pages: [1]
Topic: WCG BOINC Windows Client (Read 3325 times) Print
Scribe

Layabout
Position: Chatterbox

Scribbling to Order

You can now run WCG on Windows via BOINC....just loaded it and trying it out! Wink
-------------------------------
IP: [ Logged ]
phicks

Teddie
Position: DC Zoner

I saw a post about that over there.  Have tried out the linux version but haven't got to look at the windows one.  May try that this weekend.  Curious if they are different.  Cheesy
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
phicks

Teddie

Looks the same.  lol   Wonder if it awards points the same.  I'll have to run it a bit and then check my devices over there to see how its doing.  MrGreen
retsof

Position: Board Regular

Quote from: "phicks"
Looks the same.  lol   Wonder if it awards points the same.  I'll have to run it a bit and then check my devices over there to see how its doing.  MrGreen
Boinc treats the points differently than the standard UD type award. Read some boinc threads on the WCG forum. They are making an attempt to make them sorta' the same.
retsof Vulture Central IV

Scribe

Layabout
Position: Chatterbox

Scribbling to Order

Something about Points that I found --
I'm also not liking the way the credits are handled. Apparently there is a 24 hour delay between when you submit your first WU before you see any record you've done anything... So far I've done two WUs, and nothing on their page indicates I've returned anything. At least with BOINC, you can check the status to see if the servers actually got them or not. I don't like hanging out in limbo...
Nite Owl

At least the Boinc WGC jobs aren't as long as they are with regular WGC jobs... 2+ hours BOINC WGC compared to 11+ hours WGC....  Thumbs Up

PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM

*squeek*

actually, unless things have changed since i last ran wcg, their units vary....had a few go by in 2 hours, and others take much longer.  kinda like grid rosetta, except scaled down.  will be interesting to see if it's a continuing trend of 2 hour units Smiley
VAIO GRX616

'Nix n00b

I am interested to see if people prefer BOINC (Windows) to the UD software for WCG.
Wotan
Position: Settling Nicely

Quote from: "VAIO GRX616"
I am interested to see if people prefer BOINC (Windows) to the UD software for WCG.

Mah, boinc is good because support various project but...have some problem...it isn't much "customable"...
FluffyChicken

Wotan, it's VERY customisable...  Well sort of, if you know how to program then all is well Smiley  Alter the program and compile it.  (It's open source)

It'll be interesting to see if they make the WCG-Rosetta (BOINC) code open source as your running a slightly older sut down version of what we are improving over at [email protected] and there no problems with that going open source (David Baker/David Kim just asked us), ok the only problem is cheating and the then means we may have to add redundency to weed these out.
Wotan
Position: Settling Nicely

Resolved almost all problem with boinc^^
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: [1]
« previous next »
Jump to: