The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:October 17, 2019, 10:42:19 PM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  DC Projects
| |-+  World Community Grid
| | |-+  WCG Tops in Member Support
Pages: [1]
Topic: WCG Tops in Member Support (Read 5411 times) Print
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Group: Global Moderator
Position: Just Plain Smappy

Well, once again I find myself impressed by the answer given, and the speed recieved when I've e-mailed a question to the admins there.

I suspect y'all have seen the device number figures I put up in the Grid problems thread?  Whell yesterday I sent messages (Via "Contact us") to both projects (Grid and WCG). The messages I sent were similar, here is what I Sent WCG.
I believe that the global stats numbers for members and devices are becomming greatly exagerated. I realize that the info is pulled directly from the production database ind encompasses every one and every device ever registered. I feel we need to come up with th method of reporting Active members and devices. Sure, the program will look much smaller, but the work completed fingure will look much more impressive. 59,000 returns by 143,000 devices isn't as impressive as 59,000 returns by the more accurate 21,000 active device figure. Can y'all write a routine to list only active member/device figures over say the last 30 days? Or maybe a weekly/monthly manual update of those items on the site.
I based my (now rounded) active device number on a 14 day average of daily reported CPU time. Something for y'all to think about.  Just take a look at Grid.org's numbers. The averages put them closer to 46k devices instead of the listed 3mil. Anyway, a more accurate number will In my eyes anyway make WCG look more impressive to a potential customer. Thank-you for your time.

The response I recieved came back roughly 2hours after I sent the above. They told me that they too like accurate numbers.
  Currently they are watching the actual numbers of devices returning results Last 30days, 30-60, 60-90 and so on.
  Around October, they are going to send a Newsletter to all ever registered members to see if they get members who are inactive for any reason, sys crash, new rig w/o loading the agent. and so on reminding them of the project and giving them time to get back on-line before they purge the inactive members and devices from the database the first of next year. This is a trick they plan on continuing on a quarterly basis.  They are taking the extended ammount of time, to figure out how long inactive really is. I was told that in 2% of cases, they have seen 90days between registration and first returned result. and WCG doesn't want to put anyone off so to speak with the purge.

Fridaynite   Cool Newsletter, purge, accurate numbers.. Done quarterly. Gads I love info...   Cool
-------------------------------
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
IP: [ Logged ]
vaio

Position: DC Zoner

[email protected] cheerleader and Mod!!!

Feedback  Shock

Whatever next?

Well done the WCG for showing signs of being progressive and pro-active.
Schizophrenia is all a matter of opinions!

We eat pie not count Pi
VAIO GRX616

'Nix n00b

Perhaps WCG have learnt something from the mistakes made by Grid; perhaps they have been guided by IBM management, who themselves have done quite well over the last few years; either way, it's nice to be part of something that runs so smoothly  Cheesy
comp_interrlz

Thumbs Up

nice to see that the big guys will talk to the small
vaio

I posted an enquiry as to the possible next step for the WCG and bbover 3 has just posted this interesting reply.

Personally I find this response encouraging.

"Thanks for your concern about the next project. We were sweating bullets earlier this year because none of the research organizations out there were sending in RFPs. In recent months we have received four RFPs for new projects. These are in various stages of the review/approval process at this time. It is our policy to keep quiet about RFPs until they make it through the approval process and the Advisory Board has a chance to ok them. There are a couple of things we can tell you right now.

At this time, we are working on a new project but are not at liberty to divulge what it is yet. There's a formal agreement that has to be signed between the research organization and World Community Grid and until that's signed, it is not a done deal. We have set a tentative launch date for this project on October 31. More information will be forth coming after the Advisory Board “blesses” this project at their next meeting on September 26.

Human Proteome Folding is approximately 85% finished and is scheduled to end during early November of this year. Rich Bonneau, as mentioned in one of his updates, will be generating a few additional work batches that we will run in case we complete all current 104 work units before the new project is launched. These additional work batches will not be "busy" work but will be real crunching. Rich is also busy preparing the public domain database with the results of the project and is writing some papers about the findings from the Human Proteome Folding project.

There's also a good chance that there will be a Phase II of the Human Proteome Folding project. Rich Bonneau has submitted an RFP for that and we are working with the ISB to get an agreement in place. Rich Bonneau will be providing more details about the new phase after the Advisory Board reviews the project on at their next meeting on September 26.

The other two RFPs are in the review process and we have targeted the first quarter of 2006 to board them on to World Community Grid. Can’t divulge anything about them yet but we can tell you that one has to do with cancer research and the other is about geographic pandemic disease research.

There was also a question about providing input from the membership to the Advisory Board at their meeting. The Advisory Board is primarily about research… particularly they ensure that what is running on World Community Grid is relevant, current, is needed by scientists, and will help move us toward alleviating human suffering. The best way we can all help the Advisory Board, in addition to donating our PCs, is to contact non-profit research organizations, make them aware of World Community Grid, and urge them to send in RFPs. With everyone’s help, we may just be able to provide the compute power to eradicate some terrible disease.

Hope this information helps, but now I’ve got to get back to work. In addition to the projects mentioned above, we are also preparing for the Linux client launch which will be announced in the next few weeks, the frame work for allowing the website to accommodate other languages is being built, and we are working on the first non-English version of the website… French. That’s why we can’t spend a lot of time in the forums. Too much work to do.

Thanks for understanding."

Looking good for project choices and the linux client.  Cheesy

I am also hopeful that the tentative mention of cancer work as a possible will come to something at some point.

We eat pie not count Pi
comp_interrlz

looking good for the future

'exciting' times to come over the next few months
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Bad CTA! BAD CAT! DON"T DOO IT!    Doh

Cancer work? Oxford tired of grid?

Doh  Oh? Bad Cat!  he said it....
vaio

Hmmm, think I will post that message up in the WCG newsfeed.......not exactly news but it is of interest.

We eat pie not count Pi
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Reads like news to me. No specifics on a decision, but it lets us know they have a plan for the future, and gives us info on a couple possibilities.
comp_interrlz

Quote from: "fingerle"
Bad CTA! BAD CAT! DON"T DOO IT!    Doh

Cancer work? Oxford tired of grid?

Doh  Oh? Bad Cat!  he said it....

Eh
retsof

Position: Board Regular

Catfight! CATFIGHT!!!
retsof Vulture Central IV

IP: [ Logged ] WWW
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

comp_interrlz

Stephenish

Windmills tilted, cheap!

Honi soit qui mal y pense

BTW, I love the cat in the hat.  I laugh frequently because of it.

Take off those gloves.

Err, I mean stop fighting.

Do we have to send in the troops?
I can think that than which a greater cannot be thought. Now, if that than which a greater cannot be thought existed only in the intellect, it would not be that than which a greater cannot be thought, since it can be thought to exist in reality which is greater. It follows, then, that that than which a greater cannot be thought exists in reality.
RobSab

WCG is dead  Sad  Sad  Sad
Anyone know what is going on?
RobertS
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world...
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Noticed that myself....  No clue.    Huh
Bet they will let us know what happened when it comes bacck up though.  Thumbs Up
RobSab

Quote from: "Stephenish"
BTW, I love the cat in the hat.  I laugh frequently because of it.

gives me the giggles tooooo  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
I guess it shows that they are not limits to anything ..... hahahahahaha
RobertS
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

hehe   Glad I'm good for somethin other that just SMAP.   Hoghappy  Popcorn

edit:  BTW Looks like WCG is back up Thumbs Up .
RobSab

Quote from: "fingerle"

edit:  BTW Looks like WCG is back up Thumbs Up .

yes it is - thanks! No info yet...guess IBM is trying to get a cororate OK on the message statement to be issued - hahahahahaha Shocked
RobertS
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Doh   Hmmm. Corperate approved message..  That could take a while even for them...   Tongue  lol  lol
EvoDude

Missing Kiwi

Quote from: "RobSab"
WCG is dead  Sad  Sad  Sad
Anyone know what is going on?

Guess you've already worked out that there was extra maintenance going on over the weekend Rob, so this message is probably a waste of time - but it gives me one more on the way to becoming a 1000 poster! Wink
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: [1]
« previous next »
Jump to: