The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:October 16, 2018, 07:06:43 AM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  DC Projects
| |-+  Other Projects
| | |-+  Find-a-Drug
| | | |-+  Find-a-Drug to Close - 16th December
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Topic: Find-a-Drug to Close - 16th December (Read 24298 times) Print
phicks

Teddie
Position: DC Zoner

I have too many painful UD flashbacks looking at WCG.  lol

Code:
There are 'nasty' mods everywhere Phicks

Not at BBF.  Back Off
-------------------------------
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
VAIO GRX616

'Nix n00b

Quote from: "phicks"
Not at BBF.  Back Off

Where's that then?
IP: [ Logged ]
phicks

Teddie

http://www.bitbenderforums.com

The team I belong to.  Tongue
VAIO GRX616

'Nix n00b

Quote from: "phicks"

Seems like a good place  Cheesy

Looking through some of the threads looks like the BBF FaD team will be moving to FaH.  Anyone considered WCG?  There have been postings over there that imply WCG may be moving away from the UD software in the future, to BOINC - as with their new Linux client.
Scribe

Layabout
Position: Chatterbox

Scribbling to Order

I am trying BOINC out at the moment.........
phicks

Teddie

No one has posted about WCG there.  I don't know much about it either.  You welcome to if you like.  We already have some linux folks that would be left out till they got their linux client going.  Confused
caroline

Position: I Can Post

I suspect a problem with WCG is some are still sore about the way the UD admin treated their volunteers. WCG and UD are connected aren't they?  Eh
Teletraan

THREAD LOCKER

They are both working on data from the same project at the moment and they both use the same software, but WCG is run by a completely separate group of people, as far as I know. And it shows.
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Group: Global Moderator
Position: Just Plain Smappy

Other than the HPF project (And the simple fact they both run UD software)  They are two completely different entities.  At WCG it usually doesn't take long before there is Tech involvement on a question.
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
vaio

[email protected] cheerleader and Mod!!!

.and the client works...and the stats work.........the only iffy thing is the choice of forum software.
Schizophrenia is all a matter of opinions!

We eat pie not count Pi
PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM

*squeek*

wcg has potential, but i tend to feel more comfortable knowing a place has more of a track record...lack of one isn't necessarilly a bad thing, just personal preference.  being a newer project, they're all still pretty active in improving it and such, like the new linux client that came out.  their setup is pretty much a copy of what grid has, though they work independently of them, aside from sharing the same rosetta project at the moment.

random thoughts on folding since it happens to be where i'm at. Tongue  folding is the place with nazi forums as had been mentioned earlier.  by nazi forums...mostly it's just not the place if you're looking for something that allows for community...they do well for helping out with problems or looking at things from a science point of view, but if you want to have say a team thread and plan to post in it more then twice a week, you'll be shut down.  kinda silly of them, though as it's been fine doing this for how long, it's not the most necessary feature.  the one downside would be you don't have much choice over the project you do...it tends to be take what you get.  the work they have does get applied to many things...not necessarilly a cure, but studying i guess the role proteins play in different illnesses.  to go along with the hunt everyone seems to have for cancer work...one of their more recent published results was actually one of the first, if not the first, peer-reviewed cancer related results from a distributed computing project, on some protein that's apparently a tumor suppressor.  the paper itself goes way over my head, though it's good to see the work being put to use, anyhow.
phicks

Teddie

If they are unrelated why did UD have an advert for WCG on their page?  Huh
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

the unanswered mystery lol

grid doesn't answer, wcg will deny connections Tongue
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Related by software....    Why it's on the main page when we are not welcome to talk about it in the forums is beyond me.
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
phicks

Teddie

Seems iffy to me.   Thinking   lol
Teletraan

THREAD LOCKER

Quote from: "PiNkY"
wcg will deny connections Tongue

wouldn't you?  MrGreen
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

Quote from: "Teletran"

wouldn't you?  MrGreen

lol
phicks

Teddie

Quote from: "Teletran"

wouldn't you?  MrGreen

Hehe  lol
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

I just read this:
In fairness to [email protected], they claim not to be interested in actual protein prediction, but rather the making of them. However, I have heard (but no firm proof) that the [email protected] people did try some protein predictions based on their data and that they were far from correct.

If the work we do isn't worth a pinch, I'll just play games and cycle down.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

interesting find...source?
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

The full post, from Notorious Biggles, that I cut that from:

Might want to google this phrase: Critical Assessment of Techniques for Protein Structure Prediction

I've also come across this website, that has scores and stuff from the trials on it: http://www2.predictioncenter.org/casp/casp6/public/cgi-bin/groups.cgi

In fairness to [email protected], they claim not to be interested in actual protein prediction, but rather the making of them. However, I have heard (but no firm proof) that the [email protected] people did try some protein predictions based on their data and that they were far from correct.

URL:  http://www.find-a-drug.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5651&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
john galbraith

Quote from: "fingerle"
Related by software....    Why it's on the main page when we are not welcome to talk about it in the forums is beyond me.

It's on the main page because it adds cache, which ud sorely needs, also because IBM is a customer, having paid to use the software.  It is simply advertising.
I think some folks are using guilt by association here and it is inappropriate in this instance.  UD's problems were caused by antique equipment and old database software, two things that, I'm sure, will not be issues for anything run by IBM.
Pinky, I don't understand your reticence about WCG.  It has been running for a year with only minor and brief server issues which can (and have) affect(ed) any project.
Could these feelings of mistrust be caused by a case of "Big Brother" association?  I would hope that intelligent people would be more enlightened than that.
VAIO GRX616

'Nix n00b

I'm very much with John on this one.  The only 'issue' I have with WCG is their over-censorship - but this surely isn't a bad thing considering that they are hoping to attract all types, including younger members.
caroline

Position: I Can Post

sheesh, I HATE over censorship, that's what was so good about FAD...threads could evolve...there was nil trolling, and nil mod interference  Sad

BBF is good Kiss
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

Quote from: "john galbraith"
Pinky, I don't understand your reticence about WCG.  It has been running for a year with only minor and brief server issues which can (and have) affect(ed) any project.
Could these feelings of mistrust be caused by a case of "Big Brother" association?  I would hope that intelligent people would be more enlightened than that.

it could be that.  i think there are many positives to wcg, though experience from grid causes me to look at things from a broader point of view.  as i said earlier, my main concern is they've only been up a year...which points to a lesser amount of experience in things.  and like i said earlier, this isn't a bad thing, i'm personally facing the same trouble with something unrelated in real life, just personal preference.  for example, their recent server outage...while every project has their outages, it seemed like a lot of run around trying to figure out what was going wrong...i don't remember exactly what, but it seemed like outage was something new to them, something they hadn't had before.  of course it'll be new to everyone the first time it happens, though i prefer some place that's already been through it.  if it had been running for a while and they'd seen the ups and downs and how to tackle them quickly, my mind would be more at ease.  don't read me wrong, i'm not saying it's a bad place to be, just saying i personally would rather a place that's been around longer.

other quick things about it i'm not the happiest with are rosetta (isb can't answer what i thought was a simple enough question, leads to more unanswered questions, though i became suspect of trying to take the project down by asking so i stopped asking), and since 95% of the time i'm running linux.....despite new linux client, i'd rather not play guinea pig Tongue
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
« previous next »
Jump to: