The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:December 15, 2019, 08:45:19 PM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  DC Projects
| |-+  World Community Grid
| | |-+  WCG Linux client
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Topic: WCG Linux client (Read 18171 times) Print
retep57

Position: Board Regular

hmm you guys are great,  it looks a bit sus, i went to ubuntu forums and  some recent entries said SMP   dont use SMP  bad for ubuntu , hmm   a few probs, i think if the distro is weak in this area i might head for another distro, actually i did aim for suse 10 but the install fell over,, maybe a iso image problem,  arghhh  will keep playing till i sort it out, at 1st i thought it was boinc but somehow  i think the SMP is not happening in ubuntu thanx again will keep trying ciao
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
retep57

the nightmare continues,  was 2.2 gb into a 3.1 gb  dvd  64 iso of suse and lost connection, tried distrowatch   with getright but wont connect, dont want to be many hrs into a d/l and then have it fall over  , this sucks, arghhhh... the ubuntu seems limited in smp  i tried to go for the smp update but  says file not there arghhh... all the frigging coverdisks are  386... Sad
looks like there is very little help for the dual core setup   , tears... anyone got an easy way to get small  distro that actually works with smp??? so far i have only tried  ubuntu cos  suse  d/l  was corrupted  ..
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Group: Global Moderator
Position: Just Plain Smappy

Thinking   I'll take a look around and see if I can find somethin.

[edit]Have you looked in to Fedora?  Not a very small D/L, but it's split to 5 cd's.  http://fedora.redhat.com/

Also, you might try your Suse d/l again, but I recommend using BitTorrent for the download of the DVD..  Transferes start slow with torrent, but pick up speed after a bit. Also should keep you away from the lost connection problem.  So far Suse is still my fav distro.
-------------------------------
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
IP: [ Logged ]
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

I'm running ubuntu with 686 kernel with no problems.  That's not SMP though, just to clarify.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
retep57

ok  thanx guys,  i have ordered a dvd commercially (suse 10  64  vers)  for 18$ aus,  prob  just a burn from a company but still cheap enough,  i had done  hrs  of d/l  for 5 cds but i think one is corrupted, arghh, then i did hrs of d/l but  after 2.1 gig  got disconnected then lost it all, then i  tried getright but not wanting to connect arghhh, then  tried bittorent  but  seemed to be reall slow and only found 5cd version anyway,,  so now i go for 1 dvd ,  unless someone can tell me ubunutu can handle smp without major stuffup,  cheers, in the meantime  one core chugs away, not bad 4 results in about  14hrs
PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM
Position: DC Zoner

*squeek*

hope the ordered one works out better... Thumbs Up
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Not a bad price..  Seems worth it to me with the problems the down loads were giving you.  Cool
retep57

Quote from: "fingerle"
Not a bad price..  Seems worth it to me with the problems the down loads were giving you.  Cool

thanx fing. it is basically your advice and expereince that  leads me to try for suse, all i need is a proper iso and away ya go ( i hope) bascailly a 1$ dvd-r and access to  a site would do the trick, so funny  the dvd even though ordered from a sort of aussie site is actually a commercial enterprise in the UK , ha oh well they are organised and hace already emailed me with post airmail eta times.  good for them,  however  next time i hear of someone in this predicament i will just burn and send them a copy...
also thanx pinky and dark angel for  clues to situation, for now one core is working very nicely on wcg -  was nearly gonna dump it and go to folding (again) but it seems to be the  basic ubuntu install is lacking in SMP capability ( i think!?) cheers
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!

Thumbs Up  Fridaynite
retep57

have 2nd core up now ,  at last , well ok i  have only had the  computer  for 1 and 1/2 days  , but u lot know  that that is a LONG time to wait and waste time  of the most important of activities  .. distrib puting  YAYAYAYAYAY

sudo apt-get install linux-amd64-k8-smp

if anyone wnats to know    running ubuntu ( at this stage)
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Available through the repositories via Synaptic Package Manager, if anyone doesn't speak sudo. Smiley

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
« previous next »
Jump to: