The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:June 25, 2019, 02:52:33 AM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  DC Projects
| |-+  World Community Grid
| | |-+  question for the wcg peeps
Pages: [1]
Topic: question for the wcg peeps (Read 4258 times) Print
PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM
Position: DC Zoner

*squeek*

so i haven't paid much attention lately to the actual work portion of wcg.  i assume rosetta is still going...has it hit stage 2 or are they still looking at plant stuff?  just curious mostly... Smiley
-------------------------------
IP: [ Logged ]
retep57

Position: Board Regular

they pretty much done with the human proteome,  doing a bit of plant and other stuff now until the stage 2 rosettas up asfaik, nice sunset pic btw
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

Quote from: "retep57"
they pretty much done with the human proteome,  doing a bit of plant and other stuff now until the stage 2 rosettas up asfaik

k Smiley

nice sunset pic btw

thanks...it was taken on the way back home from my recent trip.
VAIO GRX616

'Nix n00b

I assume you know about [email protected], which is also running and is now available on BOINC as well as the UD s/ware.
phicks

Teddie

Whats this plant crap?  Confused
VAIO GRX616

'Nix n00b

Fertiliser?  Tongue
phicks

Teddie

I hope my machines aren't crunching shyte WU's.  lol
rwillis

Communiter Bona profundere Deum est
Position: Just Plain Smappy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I haven't seen a plant WU for a long time..... All I've been getting are the HIV related WU's

Rick

phicks

Teddie

I thought you folks were joking about the plant stuff.  All this time I thought we were working on human stuff.  I could not believe it when I read this Rolleyes  

We’re progressing so fast that we’re going to put one more organism on the Grid. In collaberation with the NYU center for functional genomics we are folding Arabidopsis (a model plant that is at the forefront of our(humankind) understanding of plant biology. In any case this will likely result in another 10k domains to fold and another big organism in the resultant database.

This isn't what I signed on for.
 Back Off
rwillis

Communiter Bona profundere Deum est
Position: Just Plain Smappy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

That may explain so of the large WU that have been coming out of late. The plant runs have generally been long, and worth more pionts. I'll keep a closer eye on the remote rigs, to see what there running.

Rick

vaio

Group: Global Moderator

[email protected] cheerleader and Mod!!!

World
Crunching
Geraniums

Tongue
Schizophrenia is all a matter of opinions!

We eat pie not count Pi
phicks

Teddie

Hoghappy
lawrencehardin
Position: Hmm...

We usually find out what has been done looking through the rear view mirror.  In Dr. Bonneau's last status update, he said that we had completed 90 genomes and were working through Swiss-Prot.  The plant genome (Arabidopsis) was being done at the time he said that we had completed 80 genomes.  Swiss-Prot is a Swiss database of annotated proteins established in 1986.  (I think that it is actually hosted in Great Britain.)  These are proteins that scientists were interested in studying while it was still enormously expensive to list the amino acid sequence.  Which means that if our computed structure is very similar to another structure in our database, then all the information accumulated for the Swiss-Prot protein is highly likely to apply to our protein.  As long as the ISB is willing to host the database, we can hope that someone will find this helpful.  It used to cost a lot to study a protein's structure, so Swiss-Prot is a selection of proteins that somebody was willing to pay to study.

HPF2 is going to specialize in:
A) Malaria proteins
B) Human secreted proteins

(Oops: here is what Dr. Bonneau actually said in http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=5471 :
2 seperate biomedical focuses of hpf2 :
1) malaria + human secreted proteins AND
2) cancer biomarkers

So is it malaria proteins or malaria secreted proteins?  I do not know.)

Secreted proteins are manufactured by a special process.  (Always some exceptions - this is just the normal process.)  The ribosome starts out with a messenger tag which gets hooked into a (call it a pore) in the rough endoplasmic reticulum.  Then it reels out the rest of the protein, which ends up on the other side of the endoplasmic reticulum, where the tag is snipped off.  So the secreted protein is contained out of the cytoplasm, all ready to be released from the cell.  Some examples of secreted proteins are hormones, growth factors and cytokinases (cell messengers).  Insulin, adrenaline and bile secretions are well known examples.
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

interesting...thanks for the info, lawrence... Smiley
retsof

Whatever we're crunching, it's going fairly smooth at WCG. I'm sending in thousands of results with no problems. There's also a BOINC option. My slow machine is crunching some very long HPF workunits, and my fast computers have all been switched to [email protected], which uses tiny transfer files so we can get back to the crunching. AutoDock looks like it works similarly to LigandFit used at grid.org to crunch cancer (when it works). What that means is that AutoDock could also be used for other projects besides HIV one of these days.

cancer biomarkers
A lot of folks are waiting for this one.
retsof Vulture Central IV

retsof

Quote from: "vaio"
World
Crunching
Geraniums

Tongue

Wildflower
Crunching
Grid

This isn't what I signed on for.
There should be some other projects coming up soon. Stay tuned. Our team needs the points.  Rollcat
retsof Vulture Central IV

phicks

Teddie

Yep I'm real excited about the phase II stuff coming.

Just disillusioned with DC since FAD stopped.   Angel
Stephenish

Windmills tilted, cheap!

Honi soit qui mal y pense

Quote from: "lawrencehardin"
Secreted proteins are manufactured by a special process.  (Always some exceptions - this is just the normal process.)  The ribosome starts out with a messenger tag which gets hooked into a (call it a pore) in the rough endoplasmic reticulum.  Then it reels out the rest of the protein, which ends up on the other side of the endoplasmic reticulum, where the tag is snipped off.  So the secreted protein is contained out of the cytoplasm, all ready to be released from the cell.  Some examples of secreted proteins are hormones, growth factors and cytokinases (cell messengers).  Insulin, adrenaline and bile secretions are well known examples.

I want them to study the messenger RNA that will teach me how to do things, like I read in a science fiction story.

Thumbs Up
I can think that than which a greater cannot be thought. Now, if that than which a greater cannot be thought existed only in the intellect, it would not be that than which a greater cannot be thought, since it can be thought to exist in reality which is greater. It follows, then, that that than which a greater cannot be thought exists in reality.
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: [1]
« previous next »
Jump to: