The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:July 19, 2019, 06:02:25 PM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  DC Projects
| |-+  World Community Grid
| | |-+  Cancer Project at WCG!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Topic: Cancer Project at WCG! (Read 10766 times) Print
PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM
Position: DC Zoner

*squeek*

i was thinking of trying this on my lappy since i just got it back from repair....then i realized i've only got 512mb at best....480 after shared vid has it's say... Doh

Oh no! Now they've got ME talking tech Doh
Runs away

so gp, how much ram do you have, and what type? MrGreen
-------------------------------
IP: [ Logged ]
john galbraith

I've got several sticks of 256MB RAM, PC2100, PC2700, also a couple of 256meg, PC2100 SODIMM's for notebooks.  All leftover after upgrades and no use for them now.  You all are welcome to them.
john galbraith

Hard drive is not showing any activity Huh?

I've noticed that, too.  Less HD activity for Cancer than for HPF2.  They run fairly quick also.  The 10 I've done so far averaged about 2 hours each.
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

trying it on the main desktop since it had a gig of ram...near 300mb of ram used right now(was taking around 200mb when i looked at it earlier, so definately does seem to vary as time goes on).

edit: and now under 40mb... Tongue
Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 01:05:51 AM by PiNkY
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander
Position: Just Plain Smappy

i was thinking of trying this on my lappy since i just got it back from repair....then i realized i've only got 512mb at best....480 after shared vid has it's say... Doh

Runs away

256 and danged if I know Huh? Took me awhile to figure out how to get to the My Computer thing Embarrassed
IP: [ Logged ] WWW
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Doh

lol

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

Hey, I'm doing good to get on here. Most of the people around me are just learning how to type and answer e-mail Doh
john galbraith

Runs away

256 and danged if I know Huh? Took me awhile to figure out how to get to the My Computer thing Embarrassed

Get a free download of SiSoft Sandra.  That'll tell you more than you ever wanted to know about what's inside your box. lol
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

I could open the hood of my car too. But after I've checked the oil and topped up the fluids, would I really know any more than I do now? Huh? Doh  Devil
Dark Angel

Only slightly cranky

Get a free download of SiSoft Sandra.  That'll tell you more than you ever wanted to know about what's inside your box. lol

Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 07:16:38 AM by Dark Angel

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett
john galbraith

Sandra will tell you exactly what kind of RAM you have, among other things.
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

I take it this is important Huh? Grin

Never occured to me my machine had sizes in undies Hoghappy
john galbraith

rofl

We'll leave your undies for another time.  Wait!  You mean you WEAR undies?  Shocked  How disappointing. Devil

Anyhoo, if you find out what type of RAM your pc uses, I might have some spares that would work.  Chances are you have only one free slot as OEM mobos usually only come with two, but just doubling your RAM to 512MB would boost performance a helluva lot.  If you run XP, you'll see quite a difference.
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

JG - I'd assumed my machine went commando until you lot began teaching me what was under the burka Devil

Thanks for the offer. I'll tinker this weekend and see what it says. Thumbs Up
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

Rut ro - scan says I have 2 slots which are currently occupied by a 128 mb apiece and 0 available. It's a low profile desktop w/ AGP graphics, whatever that is Huh?

Sounds like a "better leave it alone, it ain't broke, so don't fix it" setup Doh
john galbraith

Maker really went cheap to put in 2- 128's.  Not a problem, we'll just replace both.  In the description line about the RAM, what does it say about the speed?  You should see something like PC2100 or PC2700 if it's DDR RAM, or even PC3200.  If the pc is older than I think, it would say either PC100 or PC133.

The AGP reference is to the type of graphics card your mobo can support, as opposed to PCI.  Your low profile pc might have a dedicated AGP graphics card but most likely has integrated graphics with an AGP slot available for upgrading.

This is way more than you wanted to know about your computer, isn't it? lol
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

Yes! Hoghappy rofl
It said either DDR PC3200 or DDR PC2700 would fit
Dell Dimension 4600C 2.40 GHz
Front-Side Bus Speed 533 MHz
if any of that's important, then says
Warning - while the System Scanner can successfully identify the type of graphics card slot on the motherboard of your notebook or low-profile system, you may NOT be able to install a graphics card in your system due to case space constraints.
* For low-profile desktop systems, some cards may be too tall to fit inside the limited interior space of your case.
Then it tells me to call tech support prior to purchasing Huh?

And I'm totally out of warranty now with no hope in Hades of ever replacing my machine if it doesn't last at LEAST 18 months more Shocked
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

i'm guessing you probably don't play high end games, so you wouldn't be installing a new graphics card anytime soon...so you can probably ignore the warning. Smiley

the ram we speak of are little sticks that look something like this....and are one of the easiest things to upgrade. Thumbs Up  pop the old ones out, pop the new ones in, and all done. Cheesy

john galbraith

Just took a look at the spare memory and unfortunately have only one stick of PC2700 - 256mb.  The other one is PC2100. Sad

For Pinky, I have 2 - 256mb cards @ PC2100 and 1 - 256mb card @ PC2700 for notebooks.
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

i've got 2x256 as well, and only 2 slots....need to find 2x512.  got one or two spare 256's for lappys around somewhere also.  thanks, though. Cheesy
Ghost Plane

Supreme Global Commander

i'm guessing you probably don't play high end games, so you wouldn't be installing a new graphics card anytime soon...so you can probably ignore the warning. Smiley

the ram we speak of are little sticks that look something like this....and are one of the easiest things to upgrade. Thumbs Up  pop the old ones out, pop the new ones in, and all done. Cheesy

I don't even play solitaire

rofl  rofl  rofl  Embarrassed  Embarrassed  Embarrassed
john galbraith

i've got 2x256 as well, and only 2 slots....need to find 2x512.  got one or two spare 256's for lappys around somewhere also.  thanks, though. Cheesy

It's a real PITA when pc makers used to put in the cheapest size memory possible.  Made upgrades cost more than neccessary.  The only reason they're using 512's today is because they're actually cheaper than 256's.  When I was upgunning my HP lappy, I just replaced one of the 256's with a 1 gig stick.  Cost was about the same as 2-512's and I wound up with 1-1/4 gig total, the most recognized by ud's hardware scoring.
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

I don't even play solitaire

lol

It's a real PITA when pc makers used to put in the cheapest size memory possible.  Made upgrades cost more than neccessary.  The only reason they're using 512's today is because they're actually cheaper than 256's.  When I was upgunning my HP lappy, I just replaced one of the 256's with a 1 gig stick.  Cost was about the same as 2-512's and I wound up with 1-1/4 gig total, the most recognized by ud's hardware scoring.

yep... Doh  mine only lets me have a gig max, so  i probably wouldn't be able to get away with buying a one gig stick and combining it with what i already have.

the cancer units are kinda funny......1 hour to get the first 10% done, and another hour for the other 90% lol Doh
phicks

Teddie

I see I'm not the only one playing the who has extra memory and where will it fit game.  rofl
fingerle

Resistance is Futile!
Group: Global Moderator

rofl
Crunch with BitBenderTech at WCG
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts