The DC Zone

A Distributed Computing Community
Home Home  Member Map
Help  HelpSearch  Search
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.
  Current Time:December 09, 2019, 08:18:21 PM
+  The DC Zone
|-+  DC Projects
| |-+  World Community Grid
| | |-+  Running WCG as a service?
Pages: [1]
Topic: Running WCG as a service? (Read 2602 times) Print
PiNkY

the dang enigma
Group: AVFWWHGQM
Position: DC Zoner

*squeek*

Just wondering - is running WCG as a service possible?  I just realized an old computer sitting at home has still been running folding, but since deadlineless work is currently non-existant, it'll never meet it's deadlines (partly cause it's slower, mostly because it isn't on 24/7).

If so - how long are current deadlines?  It's a 1ghz Athlon something-or-other with a strange amount of ram (608 mb, but not sure how it arrived at the number - I guess it's not reading things correctly, but I don't care enough to figure out why).
-------------------------------
IP: [ Logged ]
TLD

Group: Global Moderator

Yea http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=197
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

I ended up installing the BOINC version, which asked if I wanted to install it as a service... Smiley

of course, it didn't work the way I was hoping it would, but oh well lol

Machine is now BOINCed Thumbs Up
john galbraith

Devil

Know you don't care about points, Pinky, but you will get more of them using BOINC.  Don't care to use it myself.
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

Went with the BOINC client because I was hoping it was a no-nonsense style command line client, like the linux BOINC one, in hopes that they had a service option similar to Folding's. lol  (with the Folding client, it's a simple yes/no, and it takes care of it for you...works beautifully Tongue )

As far as more points...I'd probably never realize I was getting more or less because I haven't run WCG in a long enough time that I wouldn't be sure what to compare it to... rofl
john galbraith

Ran Boinc on 2 machines for a couple of weeks awhile back and, as far as I can see, the only legitimate reason to use it is for running multiple projects.  Otherwise, for a dialup user like me, it's a PITA.  Each workunit download takes about 12 minutes, compared to 2 to 3 for the UD client, and work runtime isn't significantly faster on BOINC either.  Had a whole slew of wu's today that ran in less than an hour.  How much faster can I want them to run?  Also found work validation on BOINC to be unacceptably lengthy.  Some units took over a week before they were credited to me.
PiNkY

the dang enigma

*squeek*

I'm fortunate to have broadband, so the download time difference is negligible (or at least it didn't seem noticably long to me).  If there isn't much other difference, aside from the points/validation thing, then it really doesn't matter which I go with. Smiley  Being as the machine is slower, it'll probably be the one holding others up in the validation line Embarrassed , so there probably won't be a lengthy wait for it to validate. lol
« previous next »

Forum Index Unread Posts

Print
Pages: [1]
« previous next »
Jump to: